Marching, Walking, Slushing and Sledding in DC

IMG_1894The March for Life held in the nation’s capital each January is an annual pilgrimage for Blessed Trinity students. Most years, students, and faculty/staff who accompany them, anticipate dressing for colder temperature, make sure they have appropriate walking shoes and prepare their hearts for the journey to bring awareness to the devastating effects of abortion. As many know, the DC area was hit with a snowstorm that not only shut down the Metro and numerous tourist attractions but closed the three major airports as well – leaving the BT group to enjoy a few extra days. Snow totals range from 17.8in. to 29in. to over 35in. in remote areas of Maryland and Virginia. 

Between sledding down the Lincoln Memorial steps, searching for open restaurants, and trudging around the capital, a few of the seniors took time to keep a mini-journal to share with the rest of the BT community.




jonaas25Thursday, January 21, 2016

Our flight was at 8:25 A.M., which meant my classmates and I had to drag ourselves out of bed before dawn. We frantically ate breakfast at the airport. Our plane arrived at Reagan International Airport in Washington D.C. at 10:35. We immediately hit the ground running on our D.C. adventure, struggling with our suitcases by our side. We arrived at our hotel, and then ate lunch at the Shake Shack, a popular food chain in Washington D.C. The rest of our day consisted of visiting the Smithsonian’s Holocaust Museum, the Smithsonian’s Air and Space Museum, and touring the various monuments around the area. It was an unforgettable day, but little did we know, Storm Jonas would turn our whole trip upside down. –Kathleen Bradley  (‘16)




jonas24Friday, January 22, 2016

Though we were all snug in our beds, we awoke to the sound of our loud alarms. As we dragged ourselves out of our beds, we dressed for a very cold, but unforgettable day.  We all made it down to the hotel lobby around 7:20 am and everyone was bundled up literally from head to toe. We braced ourselves for the cold day that lay ahead, but we couldn’t forget to start our day off with a good and refreshing breakfast. We walked to the Verizon Center where the Youth Rally and Mass was held. It was one of the most empowering rallies and Masses we have ever been to. We felt so much emotion as we looked around and saw so many people who were all there to support the same cause.  We walked to the National Mall where we heard empowering speeches from political figures, like Carly Fiorina. Then the March for Life began.  Although we were freezing and covered with snow, it was all worth it because marching was a way for us to speak for those who cannot. –Stephanie Cornejo (‘16)




jonas23Saturday, January 23, 2016

After once again reorganizing my suitcase, I have come to an unfortunate realization: I am down to my last pair of pants. Throughout the night, snowflakes thickly covered the city- trees, sidewalks, and buildings. With the Metro shut down, I decided to take advantage of the snow. Constructing a sled out of leftover cardboard, plastic ponchos, and electrical tape, I ventured out into the blizzard, bundled up in my best four coats, two shirts, and three pairs of socks. We went sledding for perhaps an hour, maybe two. When we finished, I could not feel my legs. Or my hands. Or my face. I’m not sure how long we will be stuck here. Days, weeks, months, years? Perhaps I should have them send my diploma to the Renaissance Hotel. Perhaps I’ll turn 19 before I leave Washington, D.C. Will I ever eat SAGE macaroni again? Will I even remember how to write my name when I return to school? What is school? – Avery Moore (‘16)



jonas22Sunday, January 24, 2016

This morning I washed a pair of socks in the sink and then dried them with a hairdryer because I was down to my last pair. After another breakfast of oatmeal from Starbucks, we ventured outside for a walk. We trekked to the Vietnam Wall Memorial and back to the Lincoln Memorial, where people were sledding down the steps. We gathered up a few pieces of discarded cardboard and joined them. Sledding down the Lincoln Memorial was an experience that we will never forget. We ate at the Shake Shack again for lunch and then returned to our hotel rooms, where we attempted to do homework but actually just watched reruns on the Food Network. By this point, we were all homesick and tired of living out of a hotel room with three other people. I wish I could see my dog. I wish I had brought more socks.  –Leann Kopp (‘16)




jonas21Monday, January 25, 2016

It was like the light at the end of the tunnel when we all realized it was finally time to go home. We packed our suitcases and double checked to make sure we had everything we came with. We looked around our empty hotel room that had been our home for five days and said our final parting messages- “Goodbye D.C. It’s been real.” I won’t lie; a few tears were shed that morning. I can’t wait to visit again. To be honest, I wasn’t even sure if Atlanta survived the one inch of snow they received. I was ready to have my family send all my belongings to our nation’s capital. Nevertheless, six hours after arriving at the airport, we boarded Southwest Airlines with a sigh of relief. We’re finally home, and I have enough clean pairs of pants to show for it.  –Avery Moore (‘16)




IMG_2104 IMG_2103 IMG_2102 IMG_2101 IMG_2100 IMG_2089 IMG_2080 IMG_1922 IMG_1920 IMG_1916 IMG_1912 IMG_1911 IMG_1910 IMG_1905 4fb76eaa-daac-46f4-928e-42cf03259a2b